Post pictures and brag about your builds here, also share tips.
So, accordingly to what I've read, this stuff is THE way to spraypaint Nerf guns - Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/
It actually penetrates the plastic and will not wear off. There's a thread about it here: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8222
THIS IS NOT A TRADITIONAL PAINT. You do NOT want to use primer and you do not need to prep the plastic surfaces you intend to paint.
If you want to reach a color lighter than the exist plastic color it may require more coats.
- Clean the parts you intend to paint thoroughly and then dry them off
- Mask off the areas you do not want to recolor
- In a well ventilated area, from 8 to 12 inches away from the parts, spray on a very very light coat of vinyl dye. DO NOT try to apply a heavy coat or you may get a nasty discoloration from uneven curing
- Let the first coat dry for atleast 20 minutes. But you may want to wait 40 minutes between coats if you apply too much
- Spray on another light coat
- Wait 20 minutes
- Repeat until you have an even color across the whole piece
- Let the pieces sit undisturbed for 24 hours
Vinyl dye with plastics is comparable to anodizing of aluminum. The resulting finish and feel will be the same as the plastic was originally (no tacky feel) and the dye will have penetrated into the plastic. The resulting finish is extremely durable and will not rub off unless you were to sand off the surface layer of the plastic itself. If applied correctly it's weatherproof, sweatproof, and wearproof and there will be no need for clear coat or waxing.