Brothers and sisters, I am a sinner. We are ALL sinners. Five billion years ago, we were given a perfect Eden, upon which to roam. Two hundred thousand years ago, man first arose on our world. “And the LORD God took mankind, and put him into the garden of Eden to till it and tend to it.” (Genesis 2:15) Two thousand two hundred years ago, our Savior died for our sins. And now? Around a hundred years hence, our Eden will die for our sins. As the Kohelet Rabbah says, "When the Blessed Holy One created the first human, He took him and led him round all the trees of the Garden of Eden and said to him: “Look at My works, how beautiful and praiseworthy they are! And all that I have created, it was for you that I created it. Pay attention that you do not corrupt and destroy My world: if you corrupt it, there is no one to repair it after you." (Kohelet Rabbah 7.13.1) We see now the truth of those words. Our world is beyond saving, even with the prodigious might of our technological prowess. As he has in the past, our Lord has visited upon us a scourge, a punishment meant to teach us our mistakes. But I speak not against the UEA, for as was said in Romans 13:1, "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God." Our Lord has brought this government upon us for now, to save us from ourselves. Their tyrannical leadership has corrected man's course from the inevitable fall, and once we learn to stand on our own again there will be no need for them any longer. But for now, they stand between mankind and its own recklessness.
Mankind, mirroring the exodus from Eden, has spread to the sky, eking out a living miles above Earth in their space stations, or on Mars, or even in the asteroid belts. But those habitats will not save us. Most are barely self-sufficient, if at all. Two hundred years of trial we have faced, falling further and further from the ideals we espouse. Two hundred years of war. Two hundred years of starvation and poverty for all. “But verily I say unto you, I have decreed that your brethren which have been scattered shall return to the lands of their inheritances, and shall build up the waste places of Zion. For after much tribulation, as I have said unto you in a former commandment, cometh the blessing. Behold, this is the blessing which I have promised after your tribulations, and the tribulations of your brethren—your redemption, and the redemption of your brethren, even their restoration to the land of Zion, to be established, no more to be thrown down. Nevertheless, if they pollute their inheritances they shall be thrown down; for I will not spare them if they pollute their inheritances.” (LDS D&C 103:11-14)
Look not upon Medina as dangerous, nor as a hardship, but rather as our new Eden: a gorgeous paradise, and one final opportunity to prove our worthiness. As with the first Eden, “the fulness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth; Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; It pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion.” (LDS D&C 59:16,18,20) So yes, use this new world, let us spread across it and bend it to our will. But we must not corrupt it, set it ablaze with war and pollution, or it will rot away and we will have no more chances. The Quran tells us to “seek, through that which Allah has given you, the home of the Hereafter; and yet do not forget your share of the world. And do good as Allah has done good to you. And desire not corruption in the land. Indeed, Allah does not like corrupters." (Quran 28:77)
Thus it is up to each of us to make righteous decisions and to encourage others towards the same. “This is the way of the pious and people of deeds...they will not waste even a mustard seed in the world, and they are distressed by any waste and destruction they see.” So says the Sefer Hachinuch (Mitzvah 529). And through this form of Evangelism, we must strengthen our bonds with our fellows, even while reprimanding them away from unrighteous actions, for we are all in this together. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14-16) All must come to see the need for restraint. In this matter we must be united, or we will all fall. I say now there are no Neo Primitives, there are no Transhumanists nor criminals nor even Edenites. There is only a small band of Mankind, alone on a rock, light-years away from the rest of our tribe. We must “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2) for only together will we survive.