Maybe these should have gone into General but hey.
So one more topic that I think perhaps those of us with Survival 1 or more would know.
We know that the "Yam" roots are edible, we should also check the stems, leaves, and flowers (if any).
There's stuff that can be found in plants which would cause the plant to fail the test I'm about to describe, but could be removed with boiling or cooking to make the plant a viable food source. There's more to discuss regarding surviving on plants. But I'm not going to get into any of that. We're just going to talk about the basic test for if a plant is good for food.
The person or persons testing the food should not eat for 8 hours before testing.
- Collect fresh samples, not stuff that's fallen off and onto the ground.
- Wash samples in potable (filtered AND purified) water.
- Dissect the sample into component parts (Stem, leaf, flower, bud, root) and repeat steps 4 and on separately for each part. (Many plants have edible and inedible parts so it's important to test each separately.)
- Test the component part for contact poisoning. Rub component part on the inside of the wrist or elbow. Wait 15 minutes for any irritation to appear. (This can be done before or during the 8 hour fast.)
- If no contact poisoning on the arm has occurred prepare the plant part in the manner you intend to eat it. (Unless you plan to eat it raw.)
- Take a pinch of the prepared component part and touch it to your lips and wait 5 minutes. (Don't put it in your mouth, just touch it to your lips. You are testing for itching or burning sensations on your lips.)
- If there's no reaction on your lips, place the part on your tongue and leave it there for 15 minutes. (Do you sense a theme here?) Do not chew. Do NOT SWALLOW. Spit if you have to but just leave the part sitting on your tongue.
- If there is no reaction, chew the plant part and hold it in your mouth for another 15 minutes. CONTINUE NOT TO SWALLOW.
- If there is no irritation, go ahead and swallow. (You've earned it.)
- Wait another 8 hours. If there is any discomfort make yourself throw it up and drink lots of water.
- If there are no bad reactions after those 8 hours, eat a handful of the same component part prepared in the same way.
- Wait another 8 hours. If there continue to be no ill effects, that component part prepared in that way is safe to eat.